Saturday, July 3, 2010

"It's half empty, I'm tellin' ya!"

Can't help noticing that when we're having a long-term, head to head disagreement with someone else, the words we use to describe that person often include:

Stubborn
Pig-headed
Selfish
Foolish
Crazy

But when we see someone else stand up for principles or convictions we agree with, the words we use to describe the same characteristics magically become:

Determined
Brave
Admirable
Heroic
Savvy

---
Is the glass actually half empty or half full? Culture teaches It Depends. It's all a matter of perspective. It's impossible to know if the glass is half empty or half full because there are no universal truths or absolutes.

But that's just plain wrong.


You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

-Psalm 23:5