Wednesday, July 4, 2007

"Man On Fire" - 2004

(movie review)

I liked this one a lot. Denzel Washington's terrific as Creasy, the burnt-out bodyguard who's struggling to keep his client alive ... and with his addictions as well. Doesn't hurt either that the screenplay included more than a few blistering quotes:

Elderly Man: In the church, they say to forgive.
Creasy: Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.

Pita: Dear God, I do not ask for health or wealth. People ask you so often that you can't have any left. Give me, God, what else you have. Give me what no-one else asks for. Amen.

Rayburn: Well, you know what they say. A bullet always tells the truth.

Creasy: Okay, my friend. It's off to the next life for you. I guarantee you, you won't be lonely.

Creasy: There is no such thing as tough. There is trained and untrained. Now which are you?