Saturday, November 28, 2009

I deserve everything life has to offer

What's it like right now where you live?

Here, where I live (on a boat), it's 41 degrees with sustained 40-mph winds and a water temperature of 51.9 degrees. That's distinctly unpleasant, in other words. But you know what? I deserve to be happy.

And because I deserve to be happy, that means I have the right to wear short sleeves outside if I want to. I also have the right to jump off the end of my dock and swim around the harbor for as long as I want to without dying from hypothermia, because freezing to death would interfere with my choices and with me getting what I want.

Nothing ... and I mean no part of any thing ... has the right to interfere with my right to be happy or to keep me from receiving everything life has to give me. And because I deserve to be happy, nothing that makes me happy can possibly be called a sin.

Isn't that what the world would like us to believe? Nothing's more important than being happy, right?

Wrong. What I deserve from seeking happiness or satisfaction in this life ... or from jumping off the end of my dock in freezing weather ... is death.


For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Romans 6:23