Sunday, November 1, 2009

What's in it for me?

It's funny, isn't it, how people will decide what they want and then figure out ways for God to agree with their choices.

Whether it's politics, finances or dating and marriage, folks feel like God's pretty flexible and will Flex in their direction: all the Creator needs is a little coaxing and convincing to see their point of view.

I've heard folks argue that Christ agrees with their political party. I've heard folks argue that tithing is Old Testament and need not be practiced under the New Covenant (I guess charge cards must be under the New Covenant, too?).

But mainly I hear folks argue that their romantic or sexual relationships are their private business, that sexual gratification outside of marriage is "only normal and natural," that pre-marital sex is "no big deal," often followed by the argument that "God loves me and wants me to be happy. He knows I can't be perfect."

What is that attitude saying, exactly?

It says God's not Number One in that person's life. It says that person hasn't repented and surrendered to God's will, but is actually asking God to surrender to their sin. It says that person looks at Grace, shrugs and wants to know, "What's in it for me?"

----

Ever wondered what Jesus thought about while he was dying on the cross?

I have ... and I don't think "What's in it for me?" is one of the choices.