Saturday, March 13, 2010

Improving on the instructions?

I live alone on a boat. I know a few people here at the marina but they're either married, engaged or on the road to becoming engaged, and I'm neither dating nor seeing anyone. Which is starting to sound like a too-long way of saying that when it comes to meals, I eat alone. And I cook about 99% of what I eat.

I started off with a few basic recipes and slowly learned the difference between Cumin and Turmeric and I know, generally, how to chop an onion or a green pepper without lopping off a finger (a recent event with my first food processor proved that sharp blades are my nemesis).

With a recipe for a food I enjoy staring me in the face, I seldom run into a problem that can't be resolved by simply re-reading the instructions ... so it doesn't make sense to spend time wondering why a recipe's creator would say, for example, to use 1/3 of a teaspoon of Saffron instead of 3 tablespoons of Basil. I adhere strictly to what the recipe says, without trying to second guess or interpret the written words staring me in the face.

But see, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Especially when I start feeling bold and decide to spice up a "boring" recipe according to my own ideas and imagination. Like, I remember the occasion when I thought I'd save time making rice by turning up the heat twice as high and letting the rice boil for half as long.

The results looked (and tasted) like wood glue.

Another time I thought it'd be a good idea to substitute tomato paste for tomato sauce. Or to substitute celery seeds for garlic. Or to use chili powder instead of red pepper flakes or to substitute olive oil for butter.

Inevitably, instead of creating a delicious meal my improvisations, short cuts and good ideas about "Why can't I do it this way instead?" begat heinous culinary disasters that'd make a starving hyena turn up his nose and gallop off the other way.

---

When it comes to scripture's instructions I take God at his word, too.

Improvisations, short cuts and "good ideas" about "Why can't I do it this way instead?" ... defying God in other words ... is truly a recipe for lifetime disaster.




When Moses went and told the people all the LORD's words and laws, they responded with one voice, "Everything the LORD has said we will do."
- Exodus 24:3


But they mocked God's messengers, despised his words and scoffed at his prophets until the wrath of the LORD was aroused against his people and there was no remedy.
- 2 Chronicles 36:16


As for God, his way is perfect;
the word of the LORD is flawless.
He is a shield
for all who take refuge in him.
- Psalm 18:30


For the word of the LORD is right and true;
he is faithful in all he does.
- Psalm 33:4


Your word, O LORD, is eternal;
it stands firm in the heavens.
- Psalm 119:89