Monday, March 15, 2010

When we stop paying attention ...

(- from ClaytonKing.com)

This applies to every believer, but especially to pastors and leaders.

1. Are you paying attention to your attitude? When we are grumpy, irritable, negative, jealous, or envious of others and their successes, we ought to ask ourselves why we’ve grown so unpleasant and take steps to change our sorry attitude. If you’re not paying attention to your attitude, I guarantee you others are, and they will be happy to tell you about it if you ask them :)

2. Are you paying attention to your health? Ministers learn to push through tough spots. We grunt it out, ignoring the impending health crisis that lurks on the other side of the current crisis. And we are killing ourselves by ignoring our exercise patterns, eating habits, waist lines and weight, sleep habits, and stress levels. It’s not God’s will for you to kill yourself doing ministry. Pay attention to how you feel, how you act, and how you handle stress.

3. Are you paying attention to your family? When my kids act unruly and hard to control, or when my wife seems short tempered or snappy, the last thing I want to do is ask myself what I have done to cause this, but it is the FIRST thing I should ask because usually, they reflect back to me the way that I am acting or treating them. If I pay attention to their disposition, it will tell me volumes about where I am emotionally and spiritually because they are a mirror that reflects back to me my own disposition.

4. Are you paying attention to Jesus? The strange irony for Christians in general and ministers in particular is that the very source of our lives and ministries, The Lord Jesus Christ, is often the first person we toss aside in times of busy-ness and stress. Are you ignoring time with Him each day? Do you hurry through your schedule and to-do list without prayer or worship? Are you paying attention to the One who has the greatest affection for you?

Wake up and pay attention to the things that matter most in your life. If you ignore them today, you will have to deal with the consequences tomorrow.