Thursday, September 2, 2010

Can I get all my sins double-bagged, please

I save all my plastic grocery bags to use later as trash bags. Sometimes the bags get tiny holes in the bottom, which can be a problem if galley (kitchen) stuff starts draining toward the bottom.

That's why when I have two bags with holes, I'll use them together and double bag my trash.

Just a few minutes ago I dumped a paper plate and a plastic spoon into my double-bagged trash bag and guess what? The spoon slid right out the bottom and went dancing across the deck (floor).

The next five, count them, five times I put the spoon back in the bag it somehow magically did exactly the same thing.

How is that possible?

Turns out the spoon was just the right shape and size and weight and had just the right slickness to slide its way through and out the bottom. I couldn't believe it.

On my sixth attempt I jammed the spoon inside the plastic assortment box it came in, crumpled both in half and dropped them together inside the bag. That time the spoon stayed put.

Then a plastic fork fell out the bottom. No kidding ... and I never did find the hole.

--

That real life scenario reminded me of how some folks see Salvation, and how complicated and legalistic God's gift can become once men start creating doctrines, theologies and traditions.

Some religions describe Salvation as an uncertain, can never be sure, always in doubt and permanently unsettled thing: Have you done every good work possible for today? What about sinning? Sure, maybe you already asked God for forgiveness, but are you absolutely certain you remembered to ask forgiveness for every single sin you committed today? You did? Then Pride just caused you to commit another sin, and therefore your salvation is in doubt.

Christ's sacrifice on the cross for our sins didn't leave room for doubt.

Christ's love didn't involve jumping through church hoops and wasn't dependent on any legalistic man-made rituals. Nor did Christ's resurrection require a vote or a convention statement explaining church policies before it happened. What did happen was that God loved us so much that he sent his one and only son to die in our place, that whoever believed in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Pure and simple: we can't double bag what Christ's already done.

No religious double bagging or traditional re-arranging our trash is ever required to make sure none of our sins fall out the bottom.