Thursday, September 30, 2010

In my own words

I hate this kind of house-keeping and hope you'll bear with me.

Over the past five years I've occasionally quoted or referenced materials here from secondary sources, including newspaper and magazine articles, encyclopedias, TV shows, novels, poems, Scripture and even other peoples' blogs.

In each case I was careful to follow the principle of Fair Use as closely as possible, in addition to attributing full credit to original sources and authors.

From my un-affiliated, non-competitive, un-ordained and un-paid perspective as an amateur blogger, there's precious little difference between including a link pointing readers to an outside source and quoting the exact same material verbatim while identifying the original source, simply as a convenience for the reader. Nonetheless I accept responsibility for any outrage or misunderstanding.

To avoid any potential misunderstandings, accusations, suspicions or hurt feelings in the future, I removed all links to external blogs from the "Convenient Links" on the right hand side of this page. Hopefully that'll put an end to the question.

Two more things.

In no case did I ever quote, copy, plagiarize, appropriate, borrow, incorporate, apply or re-word someone else's work and present it to others as my own. Posts bearing my name reflect my thoughts expressed in my words. Each one of The Blue Book's 4565 posts is still available in the online archives if anyone wants to check.

Finally, please feel free to quote, borrow, mention or copy anything I've written here in the service of God's kingdom. I don't earn a penny from The Blue Book and I'm not in competition with anybody ... regardless of their denomination, position, title or affiliation. No one. I hope you won't even think of The Blue Book as belonging to me.

My ambition is that The Blue Book will somehow share the Gospel and reach people for Christ no matter where they are in the world. Period. Whether or not I receive financial reward, popular acclaim or public credit for my words simply doesn't matter ... and is the least thing I have time to worry about.