Saturday, March 28, 2009

Espresso maker express shopping


(goteos adicionales del tocino) *
Mentioned here yesterday that I don't have an espresso maker on the boat (mine's in storage), so I went googling for a few minutes to see what's available online.  Here's four options ... which one would I pick?

1. The Starbucks Sirena Espresso Machine


There's a Starbucks across the street (adjacent to Safeway), making the Sirena the fastest and easiest solution.  Except that the Sirena looks like something you'd find on Darth Vader's countertop in the Death Star kitchen ... and the price is $350.  Pass.

2.  The Bialetti Moka Express 3-cup Espresso Maker 
This handy little model from Italy totally caught my attention.  Its design is classic, the capacity is perfect for one person, and the price is right at $19.95

3.  The Classic Aluminum 9-cup Stovetop Espresso Maker

No doubt about it hijos y hijas, this model speaks with authority: it's what a real stove top espresso maker should  look like.  It's an all-out classic that'll last a lifetime, and at $16.59 it's an absolute bargain.  This model's only handicap is that it makes 9 cups ... which is considerably more espresso than I drink in a month.

4. La Pavoni ESC-8 Stradivari Espresso Maker

Are you kidding?  With all those knobs, cantilevers and dials it'd take me a cat's lifetime, all nine of them (and several sprained joints), just to figure out where the water goes.  Plus, it's priced at 850.   Dollars, not lire.

So take a guess ... which one would I choose?

¡Es obvio!  If I was gonna buy a new espresso maker I'd go with Number 3: it's closest to the one I already got waiting for me in storage.


goteos adicionales del tocino means "extra bacon drippings" ... today's substitution for "blog lite."