Sunday, July 19, 2009

Origins

I've wondered a lot about how Jesus, literally God's son, could willingly allow himself to be crucified, a truly horrific death, to save anyone who believed in him.

I've also wondered who I'd be willing to be flogged for and be crucified in place of, rather than see them endure the same torment ... and frankly, there aren't many. And there's fewer still who I'd be willing to die for knowing that they'd still scorn, reject and mock my sacrifice and the agony I'd endured on their behalf.

What's the difference between me and Jesus?

Jesus was human, after all, just like me ... so what did he see that I can't?

Well, Jesus was perfect and without sin for starters ... so I'm not sure I can even begin to imagine anything that comes close to explaining why Christ loved us as much as he did ... and does.

---

A few weeks ago I saw a mother duck scramble up a rock embankment to protect her babies from a dog. Even though I was a long distance away, it was such a spectacle that more than a handful of people walking the Promenade (a sidewalk along the waterfront) turned and stopped ... as if they couldn't believe what they were seeing.

Mommy meant serious business.

The dog, I'm guessing, was merely curious ... about lots of things ... and wasn't expecting to be whipped up on as the object of Momma Duck's wrath.

So guess who backed down and slunk away?

I thought the folks standing around watching to see what Mom might do would actually start applauding.

----

The closest I can imagine to answering why Christ willingly chose to sacrifice himself on our behalf comes back to Love.

Being totally human, yet being totally divine at the same time, Christ knew perfectly and divinely that we are imperfect and weaker than we believe possible; that no matter what else we might think, we are totally helpless, unable to save ourselves ... and are completely useless without him.