Saturday, February 27, 2010

"Lord, I surrendered completely ... so give me what I want."

Isn't that the way we expect God to work? As if The Creator is a day laborer we only pay when he shows up to collect on Sundays ... although we sure like to keep his number handy for emergencies? "Lord, this Tuesday I need you to clean out my financial gutters and put a fresh coat of paint on my relationship exterior."

Faith is not a game we decide to start playing in hopes of tricking God into joining our team, taking our side or to grant us wishes and give us things. Faith is about Surrendering and Submitting ... not about asking for favors, influence, short-cuts or safety & security.

No one is smarter than God. Neither you nor me nor anyone else comes close. And He recognizes lies, selfishness and deceit long before we get around to saying Amen.

I surrender.


Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?"
- Matthew 16:24-26


Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.
- Romans 12:1


Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
- Matthew 10:39