Sunday, May 30, 2010

"God loves me and wants to agree with me."

The other night on a TV talk show, in the wake of a recent popular poll, the moderator asked his two guests their opinions about what was moral, and what was immoral.

When the question of abortion came up one of the guests answered, "It's one of those subjects that's up to each person to decide for themselves whether it's immoral or not." In other words "What's right for me may not be right for you."

That logic just doesn't wash: Saying "There are no absolute morals" is like saying "What's true for you isn't true for me."

But if "There is no universal truth" is true then that's a universal truth, and your statement contradicts itself: if "What's true for you isn't true for me" is true then what you just said isn't true for me. Which means the statement "There is no universal truth" is false.

------


- from January 21, 2009


Our culture is vexed with the notion of "Choice." We're encouraged to Have It Your Way in every respect ... even if that means being disrespectful. Go ahead, express yourself!

Who can say you're wrong? Everybody's personal opinion is as worthwhile and valid as anyone else's.

After all, since everything's relative it's your right to chose anything ... from choosing whether to add bacon to your burger, to use profanity in public, to lie if it's convenient, to have sex outside of marriage, to kill an unborn child, on down to whether or not God exists: It's Your Choice.

Folks therefore feel empowered to choose what God said, and often take this approach: "I already know what I like and since I'm basically a smart, hard-to-fool Good Person, that gives me a pretty good handle on what God's like: God's a lot like me."

Their reasoning goes like this:

- I don't see anything wrong about being gay, so God must not either.

- I don't think people go to hell if they don't accept Christ, so God must not either.

- I don't think tithing applies to the New Covenant, so God must not either.

- I don't like organized religion, so God must not either.

- I don't think my private sins are a big deal, so God must not either.

- I don't know what happens when you die, so God must not either.

- I'm not sure Jesus is the only way to Heaven, so God must not be either.

But here's the kick in the gut:

- " I don't like people telling me about sin, salvation and being born again ... so God must not either."



Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker,
to him who is but a potsherd among the potsherds on the ground.
Does the clay say to the potter,
'What are you making?'
Does your work say,
'He has no hands'?


- Isaiah 45:9