Saturday, June 5, 2010

"I don't mind going once in a while and think church is OK up to a point, but life's too short and I don't want to miss out or deny myself anything."

When people say things like that, it's usually accompanied by a grin ... a smile that's uncomfortably sincere.

It's estimated only 10-30% of what we express is communicated verbally, so in this case it's the smile that's communicating the commitment and devotion being expressed:

I have time for premarital sexual adventures, but not time to pursue the joy of walking with Christ, following His will or knowing Him

I have time to put my priorities ahead of God's, but not time to worship and surrender to the Creator

I have time to swear, curse, judge, hate and ridicule others, but not time to be Christ-like and Holy

I have time to express my outrage, indignation and political opinions, but not time to share my witness and testify to the peace and mercy of the living Christ

I have time to rationalize my sins, but not time to repent and walk away from my old life

I have time to shop for and buy the things I want, but not time to tithe and thank God for his grace and mercy with an offering ... much less a sacrifice

I have time to obsess about my job and my career success, but not a minute to spare working for God's Kingdom

I have time to fantasize about becoming rich, but not time to be generous or help the impoverished

I have time to be obedient to the world, but not time to read and obey God's Word

I have time to lie to my friends, cheat on my spouse and steal from my employer, but not time to hear the Holy Spirit, repent and beg God for forgiveness

I have time to indulge and entertain myself, but not time to seek God's will through Scripture, in prayer, or by asking the counsel of righteous believers

I have time for me, but not for God

I have time for my life, but not for eternal life




O LORD, by your hand save me from such men,
from men of this world whose reward is in this life.
You still the hunger of those you cherish;
their sons have plenty,
and they store up wealth for their children.
- Psalm 17:14


You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
- John 5:38-40


For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.
- Mark 8:25


Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
- John 17:3


What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ
- Philippians 3:8