Thursday, April 8, 2010

The First 48 ... and a bit of arrogance, too

I look forward to watching A&E Channel's real-life crime drama The First 48 any time I can. I like watching how the detectives work, but what often stuns me are the interrogations back at headquarters.

What leaves my mouth hanging open is how many times suspects believe they can fabricate alibis, deny knowledge and involvement, and just generally lie to police ... and think they can get away with it. Do these guys really think they're that smart? They act like they're too smart to even ask for an attorney before the questioning begins.

I mean if they were that smart, why did they become suspects in the first place? Yet you'll see surveillance footage of a guy robbing a convenience store ... caught red-handed in other words ... cross his arms over his chest under interrogation and argue with police "It wasn't me."

What are these guys thinking? If you got picked up by police as a suspect in a homicide case and hauled downtown for interrogation, how comfortable would you feel about lying to and challenging the police ... especially if you knew you were guilty?

Wouldn't you want the best attorney available on your side?

---

I've heard lots of people say how they intend to handle God when they stand before him on Judgment Day, and how they'll demand to know why he lets bad things happen, why he allows evil to exist, etc. etc.

I wonder if they'll have that much bravado and deny everything, or try to start arguing with God when the time comes, because that kind of scenario reminds me a lot of The First 48: the folks alive today who think they can outsmart The Creator of the universe ... and have no need of a counselor standing at their side.



For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time.
- 1 Timothy 2:5-6