Friday, April 23, 2010

"His name is Flexible, His Word is Optional"

I live on a 28-foot fiberglass boat manufactured almost 30 years ago. I have no idea how many boats like mine were produced or how long the model was in production, but because I've never seen another boat like mine up close I enjoy running across the same models listed for sale online.

Not because I intend to buy another boat just like mine. I simply like looking at the pictures and finding out what choices each owner made for their vessel. I like seeing differences like upholstery, cabin layout, engines, plumbing and electronics. I've seen dozens of Model 2807s without ever finding one identical to mine and guess what? I like mine the best.




That's not to say my 2807 is any better than anyone else's. It only means that the differences my boat and all the others reflect choices, decisions and personal preferences ... and represent the flexibility to move, place and replace accessories according to each owners' wishes.

I like knowing the choices are mine about how to set up, equip, adjust and modify my boat until it's just the way I want it. It makes my little white tub feel 100% personal and 100% mine.

--

As believers, we sometimes treat scripture as though God's word is either a fairy tale filled with outdated suggestions, or as a multi-purpose Spiritual Army Knife God thoughtfully provided to help us to pry open the other guy's faults and measure his shortcomings.

Sometimes we enjoy applying stern warnings from scripture to the guy whose life seems like it's falling apart, or to the friend who can't get her act together ... and especially to the guy whose life is chock full of sin (and who seems to be having more lots more fun and has more ... more money, more toys, more girlfriends ... more of everything we secretly crave).

What's much harder is realizing that every word of scripture is meant not only for thee but for me, too. Every single word. No matter what society says or what our culture teaches, God did not give us the option of believing the parts of scripture we like while ignoring those passages we don't.

Scripture is profoundly and perfectly clear: Flexibility, Preferences and Options aren't choices when it comes to honoring God and reading his word .... and then living as he intended.



God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?
- Numbers 23:19

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

- James 1:17

Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
- Matthew 5:19