Thursday, April 2, 2009

Not always a hit


Made what seemed like a minor modification to my on-going Picadillo recipe project yesterday afternoon, and wasn't much enthused with the results.

In a nutshell, all I did was double the amount of tomato sauce ... from 6 to 12 ounces (oh, to further complicate matters, I tried a new tomato sauce; in hindsight, the Italian brand name on the can should've been my first clue that the product was almost syrupy, heavy-tasting and sweet ... intended for spaghetti or lasagna, not Picadillo). 

This small change resulted in a failure, a humiliation and an embarrassment ... and a Picadillo that would likely gag a buzzard.

Anyway, I wrapped the entire skillet in tin foil and left it to smoulder and "mature" in the fridge overnight.   Maybe some of the awful sweetness will have dissipated in time for lunch today.