Thursday, January 22, 2009

DJ's Prayer

I used to help David Jolley make videos for church ... so I hope he won't mind if I "edit" this post from his blog:

My Prayer

This is how today influenced me…
I need release from myself.  I need vision from you to see circumstances and people the way that you do.  I want to be more like you.  I want to love my wife with the passion and power that you do.  i want to understand that the more i want to love and protect my family, you want it more.  

You are never the one that has failed my family, i am the only one that does that.  Please help me take myself out of every situation so that I don’t distract others from you.  Humble me.  Teach me to trust myself less in every situation.  Teach me to lead selfishly.  Teach me to lead in the way that will indirectly impact my family by what change occurs in me.  Burden me with being humble and free from myself.  Break me.  

i pray for purity of me and my family.  i can’t lead my family if i can’t follow your cues.  Cripple my pride and teach me forgiveness.  Burden me with your will.  Continue to remind me how unworthy i am.  Show me YOUR power and let me rejoice in Your success. The eyes through which my children see the world are a result of my example.  The total service and submission to my wife is my responsibility.  Lord, kick my a[ttention]. 

Others can learn from my pain. I want you to take what I think I can control.  My process is weak to your concern. Let me lead with my silence and not my voice.  I want to have release instead of a grip. i can only speak if i stop talking. You spoke me into existence with the breath that protects me. i can only impact others by them seeing your grace.  i walk today heavier than i did yesterday.  The more confidence i have in myself, the less you can depend on me.  

If i don’t cross paths with the devil everyday, i am going in the same direction he is.  i am what use to be and You are the future.  Flesh, pride, and circumstances are a reference of how small things are in the scheme of time. You speak into me only what you can trust me with.  Monitor my thoughts and filter my words.  

i stand accountable for the environment i create that my family lives in.  Make me walk away from those I distract.  Give me opportunities to fail so that i can learn.