Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Faith Hobby

Church isn't just for Sundays, prayer isn't a private act of self-fulfillment or empowerment, and professing faith in Christ isn't an option to be set aside for our convenience .

2000 years ago, many of Jerusalem's religious leaders believed in Christ, yet they were afraid to confess their faith for fear of being booted from the synagogue.  Getting 86'd from the temple wasn't just a disgrace ... it was personally embarrassing, socially humiliating and professionally decapitating.

I can almost picture those well-dressed leaders, maybe they were like deacons, standing huddled together on the parking lot before the synagogue service with their camels (the transportation kind), shrugging to each other, "I mean sure I believe, but like, membership has its privileges ... like being fed and bossing the High Priest around ... and I kinda like keeping my private side to myself, ya know?  Besides, what difference does it really make?"

And then they put their church faces on and marched inside to play pious in front of each other, keeping their faith hidden and private ... because they loved praise from men more than praise from God, and couldn't turn loose of their old, comfortable lives.  Faith was their hobby, not their conviction.

Wonder how many changed their minds after the resurrection?


For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
- Romans 10:10

Whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.
-Matthew 10:33

We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
- Romans 6:24