Sunday, January 4, 2009

The High Price of Doing Things Right

Ug, I live on a 24-year old boat with just slightly more space than a mini-van.

The first thing I learned about boats is that everything designed to be used on a boat, from "marine fabric" down to the tiniest bolt, costs about 5 headaches more than what you'd expect to pay for apparently the same thing at the local hardware store.  

But apparently don't make things so: mechanical parts perfectly safe to use in your house or car would likely rust, corrode or burn out in a matter of months (or weeks) in a salt-water marine environment: a broken bolt or a hose causing a leak under your household sink is an inconvenience, but a leak caused by a broken bolt on a hose clamp can cause a boat to sink.

--  ---  --

For comfort, convenience and safety I added a few upgrades to my boat ... things like an electric oven, fume detectors, extra outlets ... and for economy, I chose to do the work myself.  

Guess what?  I made mistakes all the time, most every time.  

So with all the mistakes I've made, are you wondering how can I trust myself to keep doing my own work?  

It's because each time I made a mistake I had to learn how to go back, fix my mistakes and make things right.

See, I live aboard.  Which means I/me/mself ultimately pays the price for mistakes like drilling holes below the waterline, or for leaving electric cables draped between a hot engine manifold and a 90-gallon gasoline tank ... or for forgetting to close the seacock (saltwater valve) that keeps the bay separate from my berth (bedroom). 

But I've also learned to recognize and accept when my designs and plans exceed (or overwhelm) my experience: that's when it's time to get humble, and call in outside help and assistance.

It's just part of the price of doing things right.  

--  ---  --

Yes, thinking "I can do everything myself!" describes the way some folks treat Salvation.

Once upon a time, I might've tried creating Joe's Perfect Salvation Plan, and felt capable of designing a scheme I really liked (let's say, one that encouraged me to sin as often as I liked), but I realized I still had to face the eternal consequences of what I'd designed.

And experience told me there was absolutely no way I could trust myself to get everything right. Or even, to get anything right at all.

-- ---  --

When we ignore Scripture and attempt to create our own individual, stylized salvation plan ... whether from convenience, selfishness or any other personal prejudice, our vanity amounts to thumbing our noses at God.

It's the same thing as pushing Christ aside, and trying to save ourselves.

That ain't gonna work; it won't never happen: the price Jesus paid was too high for Salvation to ever become dependent on our silly whims and personal designs.


Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- John 14:6

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.
- Colossians 2:8