Friday, January 23, 2009

"Who do you say I am?"

On the way to the villages around Caesarea Philippi, Jesus asked his disciples, "Who do people say I am?"

The disciples told him that some folks said he was John the Baptist, Elijah or one of the prophets.  Then Christ asked, "But what about you?  Who do you say I am?"

--  --  --

Ever asked a friend, "What do you think about me?"

You're likely to get answers like, "Oh you're my best friend" or "I can always count on you" or maybe even "I wish I could be a friend like you."

But there's a world of difference between asking "What do you think about me?" and asking, "What do you say about me?"  Because sometimes what our friends tell us they think isn't quite the same thing as what they say.

Especially behind our backs, when our friends don't think we'll ever hear it.  

--  --  --

So let's go back to the beginning: Christ didn't ask his disciples, "Who do you think I am?"  No, Jesus already knew what they thought.

Instead, he asked his disciples what they said about him ... when they weren't within earshot.  When they spent time with unbelievers.  When they were grumbling among themselves.

Or on Friday nights when they felt like "getting their sin on" ... and didn't think he was around to see or hear it.

Now imagine Jesus asking all his disciples, 

"What about you?  Who do you say I am?"



It is written: "I believed; therefore I have spoken." With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak."
-  2 Corinthians 4:13


That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
- Romans 10: 9-10


Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.
- Matthew 10:32