Friday, January 22, 2010

"But I LIKE it better where I was."

About the only TV I watch any more are the documentary channels. Seems like shows about maritime disasters, particularly, always catch my attention.

The circumstances leading up to and the conditions contributing to each tragedy are always different. But then I realized that when a rescue was involved, after the survivors had been gratefully plucked from the sea ... there was one thing that never happened.

Something that, among the thousands of accounts of people saved from dozens of sinking ships over the past hundred or so years, was never recorded as happening a single time. Not once.

No one was ever either found drifting at sea, or was saved from the deck of a doomed ship, and upon being rescued glanced around and snorted to the Captain, "I had more fun and had more friends on my old ship than I do here. Things were more exciting where I was and everybody knew how to have a good time. So I'm going back to the ship I'm used to ... and besides, all the people on your ship are hypocrites."

Not one time.



What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
-Romans 6:1-3


Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character." Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God—I say this to your shame.

- 1 Corinthians 15:33-35