Tuesday, January 12, 2010

How can something so small make me feel so sick?

I got a flu shot last year soon as they became available. A few weeks later, I woke up in the middle of the night with a headache (I only get one or two headaches a year) and chills, soon followed by nausea and the distinct impression something's wrong. Within minutes I was ...ah, lowering my head and dissociating myself from last's night's dinner.

Funny how regurgitating can make you almost instantly feel better.

-- --

About every two weeks for the past two months, it's felt like the flu's coming back ... which results in two or three more days flat on my back. Fatigued, listless and aching. It's not just me: other folks have complained about the exact same symptoms.

Compared to lots of the other viruses out there, the seasonal flu variety virus isn't particularly nasty. At least, not compared to Biohazard Level 4 viruses like Ebola, DENV (Dengue Fever), the Marburg Virus, Lassa Fever and Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever.

Makes me start wondering, "Viruses aren't even alive, so how can something so tiny ... which scientists have measured as being only about .000003937 inches in size ... cause an adult human being to get soooo sick?"

In every case, the answer always comes back to this: A virus infects a specific host according to specific receptors and the availability of factors required for viral multiplication in the host cells.

---

Sin reminds me of a virus.

Different people are susceptible to different viruses, but all people are susceptible to some viruses.

Some viruses will make you sick; other viruses are inevitably fatal. It's hard to grasp what the symptoms are like, until you've been infected.

Being inoculated will not prevent you from becoming sick.

Many people have a hard time accepting that something so small and so ubiquitous can eventually make a person so urgently (and unexpectedly) sick.

Some people are more worried about getting sick from a virus than they are about recognizing the consequences of "So what? It's only a tiny sin."