Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Self-sufficient?

Everybody needs goals, right? One of the wishes I keep seeing expressed on blogs is the goal of being Self-sufficient. Problem is, I don't understand what that means.

How "self-sufficient" does self-sufficient mean? Does being self-sufficient mean that a person no longer needs air, food or water? Does being "completely self-sufficient" mean that person creates the compounds they need all by themselves?

Or does being "self-sufficient" mean that a person can be involved with a spouse, a job or with their children, and yet is completely sufficient apart from all those things?

What about when the "self-sufficient" person becomes sick or gets old? Do they grow new body parts, like salamanders, and regenerate themselves?

Or does being self-sufficient mean something else to the person who's anxious to claim it?

---------

I can see why folks would be eager to describe themselves as self-sufficient. Being self-sufficient is thought to express a sense of strength, independence and assertiveness but also, and let's not kid ourselves, a subtle warning: Pay attention to me, because I don't need you. I'm self-sufficient.

But being "self-sufficient" is a lie. Being "self-sufficient" means that self will always be insufficient and ultimately found to be lacking ... no matter what the self-help books and gurus say.



My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
- Psalm 62:7


This is what the LORD says:
"Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
who depends on flesh for his strength
and whose heart turns away from the LORD.
- Jeremiah 17:5


See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.
- Colossians 2:8