Thursday, October 15, 2009

"I don't know"

This morning on TV an economist was quizzed, "Where will the economy be a year from now?"

The expert shrugged and confessed, "I don't know. Nobody knows." Hmmm. That got me to wondering, What does I don't know mean?

Does I don't know mean "I don't have an answer," "I'm not sure," "Opinion is still divided," or does I don't know mean "The information is unavailable"?

Or could I don't know also mean "There's simply no way of ever knowing" or even "I don't care"?

I dunno ... on the other hand, I don't know can also be used as an amazingly honest and straight-forward response. And that's the problem.

Because I don't know has so many meanings, sometimes we think we can hide behind I don't know when the reality is that We DO know ... we'd just rather postpone thinking about the inevitable or avoid dealing with what's inescapable.

You know, like death ... and where we'll spend eternity.


Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.
- Deuteronomy 7:9

For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him.
- Romans 6:9

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
- John 17:3