Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Taking God for granted

Be honest: sometimes we live as though God's not around. And sometimes, we truly act as though he doesn't even exist.

I'm not only talking about the way we act, or about the times we commit the so-called "big sins" ... like, when believers chose to participate in an extra-marital affair ... and not just "small sins," like the times when stealing at work seems justified because "Somebody owes me something for everything I do around here."

Nor am I talking only about "sins of omission" ... not doing the things (like tithing) we're commanded to do.

I'm talking about taking God for granted when we pray. I'm talking about how we behave toward God when we're alone with him in prayer. Stop and think about what Prayer means for a moment.

Prayer essentially comes down to you (accompanied by your thoughts and attitude) standing alone before God the Father, seeking communication with the Creator of the universe.

Sometimes I think that if every time we closed our eyes to pray, if instead of seeing nothing we literally saw Almighty God standing before us, how very different the things we prayed for would be.