Sunday, October 4, 2009

Running, Standing and Playing for Keeps

I found myself in a situation recently I wish I could've avoided. I didn't "have a dog in the fight," as the saying goes, but the folks who did elected to exit, rather than to participate.

I heard later that since "nothing happened," the event was "no big deal."

Of course not. No event is a "big deal" so far as spectators are involved. Especially when feet and great physical distance separate scribes from any chance of harm or physical danger.

Especially when someone else stayed, and stood in their place.

-- --

Why do people who proclaim Christ as their savior separate themselves into so many "religions," faiths, factions, traditions, translations and denominations?

Makes me wonder, Who Are We Serving and Worshiping.? To whom do we really belong?

To the Pope? To the Southern Baptist Convention? To Rick, Joel, Joyce or to whoever happens to be the dude with the latest or most profitable best-seller?

Makes me wonder, who'll be latest and greatest, next? (hint: only choose a Savior whom God called his Son, and who also rose from the grave after dying for your sins).

When everything mattered most, who stayed and stood in our place?

---

One day every one of us, no matter what our faith, denomination, religion or publication history, will stand before God to give an accounting of our lives (and He won't be stunned or surprised by anything we say).

But standing before the Creator and arguing "I got mad and went church-shopping because I knew you only wanted me to be happy" or "I decided it was OK to sin because you'd already forgiven me" or "Glorifying and satisfying myself seemed important at the time" promises to be the most profound opportunity for sounding unrepentant ... and just plain dumb ... imaginable.

----

Life does not come down to playing a game of personal favorites, choices, aspirations, goals, options or personal preferences. Our lives are the path we follow into Eternity ... and for believers, that means eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ ... and in Christ only.

Because eternity is for keeps.