Monday, September 14, 2009

No longer fits the times

Compared to most 28-foot boats, Calypso's got lots of room [compared to most mini-vans, I guess it's about the same.]

Also, I think her 25 year old hull is more solid and seaworthy than what's found all but the most expensive boats being manufactured today [telling myself, over and over again, helps me sleep at night during storms].

If it sounds like I'm fond of her, I am. But ...

But about a month ago, the fluorescent light fixture in the aft cabin (where I sleep) stopped working [it stopped working more thoroughly after I tried repairing it myself.] Which sounds like no big deal, right? Just go to Home Depot and buy a new light fixture.

Except the light is on a 12-volt circuit, which means Home Depot ain't got nairn. Which means searching on-line through RV and marine supply catalogues. Which shouldn't be too difficult at all, right?

Except that the fixture fits into a recess just 3.5" wide, which apparently was popular back when Calypso was built. But no one has manufactured or produced since 1983 and skinny, skinny lights have gone out of style. Which means a month after the fact, I've still got no light in the aft cabin. Which means it stays dark back there once the sun goes down.

So I started sleeping on the bench seat up front. Which means now I'm living on just half a boat. Just because my light fixture's gone out of style.

-- --

That's the thing about popular trends and styles, isn't it ... the only thing permanent about them is the 100% certainty that they won't last or endure. Like self-help books and New Age religions.

Oh, there is one other thing that's certain: soon as the latest guru's book has fallen from favor, you're guaranteed to find yourself stumbling around in the dark.