Thursday, September 24, 2009

Passionate about Losing and Falling Short?

South Carolina is playing Ole Miss as I write this. I didn't realize until late this afternoon that Ole Miss is ranked #4 in the nation.

What do you think kept Steve Spurrier busy all week? Preparing his team to lose? Or maybe thinking about what to say to his team in the locker room before the game?

Here's some things I don't think The Old Football Coach told his team:

Go out there, play your hearts out and lose magnificently.
They're bigger, faster and smarter than us, so we have no chance of winning.
Everybody says we'll lose, so everybody must be right.
The defeat we're about to suffer is all your fault for not listening to me.
We can't win ... and you're stupid for disagreeing.
That part of the team is all losers, so I know they'll fail the team.
I'm smarter and better than you- so why can't you guys play up to my skill level?
What do I have to do to show you guys how to win? Play the game by myself?


---

What's the point?

Only losers don't mind losing.
Winners don't blame others; Leaders don't point fingers.
Leaders don't put themselves ahead of victory.
Defeat is an equally shared experience.
Sarcasm is the enemy of encouragement.
Anger robs success of its joy.
Leaders belong to the team, not vice-versa.

Placing blame on the back prevents seizing Victory with both hands.