Saturday, September 5, 2009

Speaking theoretically ...

Over the past five years I must've had two dozen people ask me abstract questions like "Do you think it's OK in church to ..." and "Do you think it's a sin to ..." or "Does your preacher teach that the Bible says ..."

Off the top of my head I'd guess two or three of those folks were genuinely interested in finding out something useful, and that the others were probing to find a point or two to attack and provoke me.

I think I've gotten better about discerning intent; I may have improved a little bit when it comes to responding, too.

-- --

I don't have any authority in any church; authority comes from God ... so my opinion doesn't matter.

God didn't (and will never) give me the command to decide what is sinful and what is not: he's already plainly covered "What's sinful?" in scripture ... and doesn't need any help or input from me to make up his mind.

My pastor preaches straight from God's word; it's hard to be any clearer than that.