Monday, September 21, 2009

Reaction and Perspective

About two hours ago, I was trying to write a different post when I suddenly remembered that I needed to return the Dewalt belt sander I'd borrowed for the day.


People tell me that Dewalt builds terrific power tools. I don't own any so I don't know, except that they're awfully expensive. So what do you think happened as I was stepping down from my boat?

The latch on the belt sander's carrying box caught on my belt buckle and flipped open.

No the belt sander didn't fall into the bay ... somehow the clasp stayed shut. But replacing a $300 belt sander that I'd only borrowed for the afternoon would've surely ruined my day. And the rest of the year, too.

---

Here's the point: if I'd seen the belt sander splash into the bay my reaction would've been to gripe, groan, moan and complain about it for weeks.

The clasp held ... so shouldn't my reaction be to rejoice and give thanks for several weeks? But we don't think that way. We think and act as though our lives deserve to be blessed at every turn (and at every stop light and intersection, too).

Wonder how our perspectives would be different if we forgot our dramas and "misfortunes" as quickly as we forget the blessings God's already given us.