Sunday, August 16, 2009

[blogging behind the scenes]

Several events over the weekend prompted me to write last night's post about how a Christian should "act."

The first one happened for the fourth time on Friday night: someone intentionally turned off the spigot supplying water to my boat. Probably because there's a leak at the fitting leading into my boat.

Might not sound like a big deal, but just imagine if (a) you were taking a shower and someone turned off the water line into your house (b) without incoming water to refill my hot water heater, its element burned out (c) a critical onboard system required a fresh water supply to function properly.

It's happened four times, and always on a weekend. I figure the culprit is a weekend boater ... a do-gooder who's too thoughtless to bother knocking on my boat to check with me first before causing me untold aggravation and grief. It makes me furious.

The second event happened last night. My 12 year old dog-daughter, Atlantis Phred, had surgery earlier in the week to remove several lumps from her breasts. Then on the way home from the vet her stitches opened, and the blood loss was severe enough to be life-threatening (I was told the backseat of the car looked like a murder scene).

Her owner (and the owner's boyfriend) had to literally race to an emergency clinic to have her resutured before she died ... and I volunteered to watch, stay with and give 'Lanis' her meds when her owner's unavailable because of work.

Well, dogs still have bodily functions and still have to "walk," right? So last night while Lanis was trying to finish her business a young couple walked by with their (unleashed) spitzer, who came racing up at full speed to investigate. Which caused Lanis to whirl around to defend herself against her antagonist.

At which point the young man pointed at the sidewalk and scolded me, "Look. She expelled an excrement there." [The city has a strict poop-n-pickup law and yup- those are exactly his words. Oh, and there's an even stricter leash law, too.]

I was already worrying my dog's insides would fall out as she squatted, and then this unleashed and uncontrolled dog interferes with her ... yet that dog's owner felt compelled to point out a piece of poop the size of an acorn to me, while ignoring that the responsibility fell squarely on him?

I had to clamp my jaw shut and totally ignore the tide of expletives I wanted unlease on that guy's face ... and that's what got me thinking, How should a Christian act?

Especially when faced with a situation that's not covered by all the rules.