Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Faith Inbetween: Part 3 --- Am I Hot or am I Not?

The popular position goes something like this:

"Let me tell you what I think about religion, because too many people try to make the subject difficult when it doesn't have to be. I think a man or woman can be successful in their chosen career, and still pursue their own agenda, goals and ambitions without interfering at all with their faith.

"Religion and reality are two separate things, and any right-thinking person will quickly see the difference and learn to keep them apart."

---

I dunno about all that. Seems to be it'd be easier for a "right-thinking person" to just go church-shopping until they found a church focused on "having it all" and keeping its members happy and smiling, led by a pastor who didn't let either God's word or the Holy Spirit interefere with anybody's agenda, goals and ambitions.

A church where everybody can dress up in their best and sit around together for an hour on Sundays, playing the pious and religious role ... wondering what to do next to succeed and how much to contribute to impress each other even more.


I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So,because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.
- Revelation 3:15-17


Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: "The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them."Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues"
- Matthew 23:1-6


You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.
- Galatians 5:13