Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Notes on bedtime

On Wednesday I wrote a post titled "All the Time in the World."

It's way past my bedtime, but I've been thinking about that post ... and will be until I fall asleep.

I'm not planning on dying between the time I fall asleep and the time I wake up tomorrow, but then, I'm not in control of my time left on earth ... actually, I'm constantly reminded of and humbled by my own frailty and weakness.

--

I won't fall asleep tonight wishing I was in a relationship or that there was someone special in my life, or wishing I was happily married, or hoping to become fabulously rich before I die. I won't be staring at the ceiling wishing my boat was bigger or imagining myself driving a new car. I probably won't even worry about my boat sinking while I'm asleep inside it.

And I won't have trouble falling asleep trying to think of ways to settle scores, gain an advantage or wanting to impress people or become famous ... nor will I be worrying about getting old and sick, or not being physically attractive. I won't spend one minute dreading what the politicians in Washington will do next, either.

Nor will I fall asleep making a mental list of all the things I'd like to do with my life ... or spend two seconds thinking of all the things I wish I'd done differently.

Except for one thing.

I wish people could see Christ in my life and know that he's alive ... and that I didn't fail and fall short every day.