Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hey you! Listen up and pray attention!

Don't know about you, but sometimes praying can be hard.

You might be thinking, "Why?  I've been praying my whole life, and nothing could be easier.  I just close my eyes, clasp my hands together (especially if anyone's watching), and jump right in.  I'm always ready when called on too, because I've memorized  five or six of my favorites and could recite them all day long with my eyes closed."

Yeah, that's the point: how much Thanks am I showing if I thank God by droning through the same 10 words three times a day, year in and year out?  After all, I'm not eating the same boring thing three times a day, so why was I falling back on the same (boring) prayers 3x a day ... not just at meal times, but also when praying to God ... about anything?

If I treat praying like an onerous chore, how can God think my prayers are anything but a tedious bore?

"Oh Lord, please guide and direct my life and bless me with wisdom and good judgement in every way. Thank you for everything. Amen.  Oh, and please also forgive me for all my sins.  And for the ones I forgot to mention and any leftover from yesterday. I think that's it, amen.  And help me to forgive others too, amen amen."

Uh oh, is prayer supposed to be a 24-hour request line ... or did I just hang up on God?

-- --

Why is it so easy to turn prayer into a tired recitation, instead of keeping prayer an on-going communication? 

Could be because it's more fun asking God for new things than it is finding new ways to express thanks for what we already have.  

And because recitation is easier than paying attention ... and listening.