Saturday, May 9, 2009

"I have faith, but sometimes my faith fails me"

Faith is easy when everything in life seems to be going our way, isn't it?  

But faith can become much more difficult once the sky turns gray, when every little thing seems to start falling apart, or when the floor of our financial or emotional security feels ready to collapse and disappear beneath us.

Doesn't it sound "normal" to question our faith soon as the tide reverses and starts heading out to sea?  Doesn't it sound "normal" to have doubts when our plans go to pieces?  

Sure, that's "normal" ... because "normal" faith means Me and My Interests First.  That kind of faith is born from a preoccupation with looking out for Numero Uno.

But Christ didn't command us to be "normal" or to put faith in ourselves: our hope is in him.  Only.  Period.

---  ---

Seems like folks expect their faith to provide them with fast answers and quick solutions, rather than a full-time purpose and  life-long direction.  "Normal" faith is like shadow faith, because it's the same thing as telling Jesus, "I have faith you'll take care of me, I promise ... but stay offstage in the shadows and out of my way till I need you."

When we say "Sometimes my faith fails me," what we're actully admitting is "My expectations aren't being answered and fulfilled."

No wonder "normal" faith fails just when life starts looking like it's falling apart.

When the tide switches direction and seems about to drive you toward rocks or hidden shoals, you need absolute faith in your anchor's ability to hold fast ... under any conditions.


--- ---

If your life seemed to be out of control this morning when you woke up, or your faith feels like it got bagged up and thrown to the curb with last night's trash, wonder if the problem could be with your style of faith: it's unreliable now and will remain unreliable as long as you trust it.

Your type of faith is weak, but scripture tells us He is strong.

Could be your time to surrender*, repent and anchor your faith in Christ.





* Surrender doesn't mean "to take a timeout, rest and regroup."  Surrender means to yield, to give up, to abandon, to relinquish.